Who We Are
Dear Wonderful Friends,
Over 3500 children from 1223 families in the Mat-Su Valley had the magic of Christmas this year. We cannot thank you enough for being a friend of the Mat-Su Special Santa Program. You have helped us bring smiles and memories to children and their families at Christmas time.
Special Santa is a Rainbow Program; it combines both the sad and the happy. So many families are sad they cannot do better for their children and provide Christmas presents. But because of the amazing community we live in, we are able to provide the children with a book, 2 gifts, stocking stuffers and occasionally a much needed unique gift or assistance. Our community once again opened their arms and hearts and yes pocketbooks to donate to this crazy cause. So many people, organizations and businesses truly made a difference.
We want to THANK YOU for being a part of making our world A RAINBOW OF CARING!!!
The Mat-Su Special Santa Program brings Christmas gifts to children in need in the Mat-Su Valley, a community 40 miles north of Anchorage, Alaska. This all volunteer program began in 1997 with a few volunteers and 90 children. Today the Special Santa Programs brings gifts to over 3500 children a year.
About the Mat-Su Special Santa Program:
- In 2013 we brought the magic of Christmas to over 3408 children and since the program began we have helped over 25,000 children.
- Every child fills out a wish list. Besides toys and fun things many of the children ask for much needed personal items, including bedding, socks and everyday needs for school and home.
- The children, newborn to 18, receive 2 toys or gifts, winter wear when possible, stocking stuffers and a new book. We work hard to provide many of the personal items requested.
- Work with the U.S. Marine Toys for Tots as their coordinators and distributors in the Valley.
Goals Of The Program
The Mat-Su Special Santa Program's goal is to help children experience the magic of Christmas and to help their parents know that people care.
In reaching this goal the program:
- Coordinates with agencies and programs to provide for families.
- Provides the citizens in the Community an opportunity to give.
- Assists families in need at a stressful time of year.
- Spreads the joy of Christmas throughout the Mat-Su Valley.
Toys For Tots
The Special Santa Program has been partners with the U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots since 2001. We coordinate the collection and distribution of the toys donated at various businesses who host Toys for Tots boxes. Halloween Hollow is a major fundraiser held with Toys for Tots Marines.